We're all familiar with banana bread. It's that "go to" treat when you don't want anything too sweet. Unlike traditional banana bread, our delicious recipe is made with gluten free purple corn flour, chia seed extra virgin oil (for an omega-3 nutrient boost!) and sweetened with low G.I. coconut nectar. That means it's gluten free, dairy free, refined-sugar free and guilt free!
The best thing about banana bread is that it's so versatile. Feel free to add in chopped nuts, cacao nibs, seeds or extra chunks of banana! We can't wait to see what you create.
GLUTEN FREE BANANA BREAD
1/3 cup chia seed extra virgin oil
1/2 cup coconut nectar
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1/4 cup nut milk of your choice or water
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon, plus more to sprinkle on top
1 3/4 cups purple corn flour
- Preheat oven to 165 degrees Celsius and grease a 23 x 13cm loaf pan.
- In a large bowl whisk the oil and coconut nectar together. Add the eggs and beat well, then whisk in the mashed bananas and milk.
- Add the baking soda, vanilla, salt and cinnamon, and whisk to blend. Switch to a large spoon and stir in the purple corn flour, until just combined. If you would like to add any extras, such as nuts or cacao nibs, gently fold them in now.
- Pour the batter into your greased loaf pan and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.
- Bake for 55 minutes, or until metal skewer comes out clean.
- Let the banana bread cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes before you transfer it to a wire rack. Wait 20 minutes before slicing.
Serve fresh or lightly toast with butter. For a healthy twist use our coconut butter!