Our delicious Hot Chili Fried Rice is a quick and easy recipe that can be made in less than 30 minutes at home. Perfect for Meat Free Mondays! We have made it with egg, but you can substitute for tofu if you want to make it vegan. The red cabbage and kale combination brings vibrancy and colour to the dish. Phytochemicals called anthocyanins are responsible not only for the beautiful colours, but are known to assist in protecting the body from disease.
These vegetables are the perfect fit for stir-fries as they are in season all year round!
HOT CHILI FRIED RICE
1T sesame oil
3 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp turmeric
3T cocoNOTsoy sauce
2T coconut hot chili sauce
2cm x 2cm cube fresh ginger, grated
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup brown rice
1/2 cup organic (red & black) quinoa mix
2 cups red and/or white cabbage, sliced
100g kale, steamed
2 spring onion stalks, diced
1 tsp sesame seeds to garnish
- Rinse brown rice and quinoa well under running water and place into a pot with 2 1/2 cups of water. Bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for approx. 20-25 minutes until liquid has been absorbed and the rice and quinoa are cooked through. Tip the rice and quinoa into a bowl and allow to cool.
- Add 1 tsp of coconut oil to a frying pan, and cook the eggs into an omelette. Cut with a spatula into strips.
- Heat 2 tsp coconut oil in a wok, add sesame oil, turmeric and ginger and stir for 30 seconds. Add eggs, red and white cabbage, kale and spring onion to the wok and stir until vegetables have softened.
- Add the cooked brown rice and quinoa into the wok. Stir in the coconut hot chili sauce (add more until desired spiciness is reached) and cocoNOTsoy sauce, coating everything in the wok.
- Serve and garnish with sesame seeds. Enjoy!