CLASSIC CHRISTMAS FRUIT CAKE
100g chopped dates
100g slivered almonds
1/2 cup brandy or sweet sherry
1 cup MSF coconut sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp almond essence
1 cup high grade plain flour
1/4 cup MSF coconut flour
2/3 cup MSF purple corn flour
2 tbsps MSF lucuma powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp mixed ground spice
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
blanched almonds for decorating
brandy, extra, for splashing
- Place raisins, sultanas, currants, dates and almonds in a bowl and pour over brandy. Cover and allow to soak for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 140°C. Beat the butter and sugar in an electric mixer until light and creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat well. Mix in vanilla and almond essence.
- Combine butter mix and soaked fruit in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together all flours, lucuma, baking soda and spices. Add to butter and fruit mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Spoon into a 20cm-square cake tin double-lined with non-stick baking paper, decorate with a few blanched almonds and bake for approx. 1 ¼ - 1 ¾ hours (depending on oven).
- While still warm in the tin, poke the cake a few times with a toothpick then drizzle over a capful or two of brandy. Allow to cool before serving.