This easy Apple Pie recipe is sweetened with our organic Coconut Sugar, organic Coconut Nectar and it’s made with our organic Coconut flour and organic Coconut Oil in a coconut base! Our coconut products are great for your gut health as well as being perfect options for vegan, paleo, low GI and health conscious individuals.
1 ½ cup standard flour
Pinch of salt
½ cup Matakana SuperFoods organic Coconut Oil (cool enough to be solid)
6 – 8 tbsp. ice water
6 large apples peeled and sliced (red or green)
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- In a food processor – mix together flour, sugar and salt. Blend together for a few seconds to combine.
- Add coconut oil and process for 30 seconds to combine. Make sure that there are no visible chunks left.
- Add 4 tbsp. of ice water and process to combine. Keep adding 1-2 tbsp. until the dough gently sticks together but it shouldn’t be sticky!
- Refrigerate for an hour. In the meantime, heat the apples on a medium heat in a small pan with 1 tbsp. of water.
- Add coconut sugar for the filling and keep stirring until sugar starts to caramelise. Keep this sticky apple mixture aside.
- Split dough in half and on a floured surface – roll out two pieces. If you want to decorate with your own shapes keep some dough aside to create with.
- Brush a baking tray with coconut oil and line the dough to the baking tray.
- Fill pie will apple mixture and seal with the remaining dough piece. Create shapes, (maybe leaves, hearts or triangles) with the remaining dough mixture and decorate the top of the pie!
- Glaze the top with a mixture of 1 tbsp. hot water and 1 tbsp. coconut nectar and then sprinkle with a little bit of coconut sugar.
- Cook in oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with a side of organic coconut yoghurt.