This easy Mexican Stuffed Capsicum recipe is festive, tasty and healthy. We’ve used our organic Red & Black Quinoa and our delicious organic Coconut Hot Chilli Sauce. If you haven’t tried either, you are in for a treat!
Quinoa contains a wide variety of nutrients including all 9 essential amino acids making it a complete protein source for vegetarians. It also has a high fibre content to support gut health and weight management. It is abundant in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
Our Organic Coconut Hot Chili Sauce will give your everyday cooking a deliciously spicy and slightly sweet flavour. It is 100% natural and a smarter alternative to regular sweet chilli sauce as it contains no additives, preservatives or cane sugar.
This recipe can be prepped and refrigerated up to 2 days before baking.
Adapted from www.veganhuggs.com
6 x Capsicums (a selection of red, green and yellow)
1/2 cup black beans
1 cup of Matakana SuperFoods Red & Black Quinoa (cooked)
1/2 cup sweet corn
1 sachet vegetable broth
2 tbsp Matakana SuperFoods Coconut Hot Chilli sauce
1 cup diced mushroom
1 chopped red onion
1. Sauté olive oil, onion and mushroom together over a medium heat.
2. Add protein-rich red & black quinoa, black beans, sweet corn, vegetable broth and 2 tbsp. Matakana SuperFoods Hot Chilli Sauce.
3. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Cut the top of the capsicum and with a knife cut out the seeds and white inside. Keep the lids as these will go back on top after the stuffing is added!
4. Boil capsicums for 3 minutes to soften. Dry with a clean tea towel or paper towel.
5. Line a baking tray with foil and arrange capsicum on top. Use a tablespoon to divide the mixture between the carved capsicums, place tops back on and cover with foil. You can refrigerate them at this point if you choose to bake at a later date, otherwise, place in oven for 30 minutes.
6. After 30 mins add chopped basil, uncover then continue to bake for another 10 minutes. You can move the tray to the top rack if you would like a browner top.
7. Remove from the oven and serve!