Super healthy, low in calories, easy to make, plus it can be prepared in advance and baked two days later. There is so much to love about this amaranth stuffed zucchini recipe. Zucchini is full of water which means that it's low in calories. So once you stuff it with some tasty veggies and some protein-rich amaranth, top with just a bit of mozzarella and you've got a fantastic healthy meal!
Our Peruvian amaranth is a premium grain with a high nutritional profile and is packed with protein and fibre. It has a mild, nutty flavour and crunchy texture, and is a versatile ingredient that can be used in both sweet and savoury dishes.
Adapted from http://www.tasteloveandnourish.com
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 medium red pepper, finely diced
2 Roma tomatoes or ½ C. grape tomatoes, finely diced
6 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
1 - 2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup baby spinach leaves, chopped
1 cup cooked Matakana SuperFoods Peruvian Amaranth
3 - 4 large fresh basil leaves, torn
1 tablespoon Parmesan, grated (optional)
½ cup mozzarella, grated
1. Sauté olive oil, onion and red pepper over a medium heat until the onion softens.
2. In the meantime scoop out the inside of your zucchini's with a round measuring spoon. Mash the scooped zucchini and set aside.
3. Add the tomato, mashed zucchini, thyme, some salt and pepper to the pan and sauté for another couple of minutes. Add the spinach and stir until the leaves wilt down.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and add the cooked amaranth along with some basil leaves. Add Parmesan, stir and set aside. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
5. Line a baking tray with foil and arrange zucchini on top. Use a teaspoon to divide the mixture between the carved zucchinis and cover with foil. You can refrigerate them at this point if you choose to bake at a later date, otherwise, place in oven for 30 minutes. After 30 mins uncover and add mozzarella, then continue to bake for another 10 minutes. You can move the tray to the top rack if you would like a browner top.
6. Remove from the oven and serve!
Tip. For a vegan option try aquafaba mozzarella and remove the parmesan