This Superfoodie Carrot Cake is a sure crowd pleaser and a great celebration cake to make for an upcoming birthday or special occasion. Using two of our popular gluten free flours, Coconut Flour and Purple Corn Flour makes this cake both high in fibre and antioxidants as well as suitable for those following a gluten free lifestyle. And we can not forget about the totally moreish Lucuma Cream Cheese Icing! Taking your traditional cream cheese icing to the next level thanks to our popular Peruvian superfruit Lucuma. This powder has a yummy apricot/maple flavour and makes this icing taste absolutely divine.
SUPERFOODIE CARROT CAKE
1 ½ cups of purple corn flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder (gf)
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of Himalayan salt
¾ teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup coconut sugar
½ cup desiccated coconut
¾ cup chopped walnuts
1 ½ cups grated carrot
450g tin crushed pineapple, drained
5 Tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil, melted
3 large organic eggs
TO DECORATE (OPTIONAL)
½ cup chopped walnuts
½ cup dried apricots chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Mix all dry ingredients together, making sure there are no lumps.
- Add all wet ingredients, then carrot and mix well. Pour into greased and lined 20cm round tin. Bake for 40-55 minutes depending on your oven.
- For the icing, beat the cream cheese and butter for 2 minutes or until well combined.
- Using a mortar and pestle, grind the coconut sugar into a fine powder. Add to icing mix and beat until well combined, the icing should become a light caramel colour. Add lucuma and mix well.
- Place the cake onto a cake tray and top with the icing. Once the cake is iced sprinkle the walnuts, apricots and coconut thread over the top. Store the cake in the fridge to ensure the icing doesn’t melt.