With the cooler weather now upon us there is nothing better than staying indoors next to a warm fire and indulging in some comforting chocolaty goodness - And now you can guilt free thanks to this recipe created by the talented Zoe from over at Little and Loved.
This cake will be sure to impress as it is made with all good wholesome ingredients including our recently launched Purple Corn Flour, a great new gluten free flour alternative. If you haven’t heard of this new product you may be surprised to learn that it contains more antioxidants than blueberries and can be used as a substitute for wheat and other less nutritious gluten free flour options to give your recipes a healthy boost!
According to Zoe it has a ridiculously rich chocolate taste – perfect for all you chocoholics out there and paired with Zoe’s Raspberry Chia Jam it is the perfect sweet indulgence for sharing with friends and family.
RICH CHOCOLATE CAKE
Makes 4 small cakes or 1 large
250g cacao butter
8 Tablespoons cacao powder
4 Tablespoons espresso coffee
200g extra virgin coconut oil
140g coconut sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or seeds from 1 vanilla bean
100g purple corn flour
60g coconut flour
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line cake tin/s with baking paper.
- Place cacao butter in a small pot over a larger pot with boiled water, refrain from placing this over heat and gently allow it to melt.
- Once melted, add the cacao powder and coffee, mixing well. Add coconut oil, coconut sugar and vanilla and stir until coconut oil has melted.
- Remove from the heat, add purple corn flour and coconut flour, mix to combine.
- Separate eggs, lightly whisking the yolks and stirring into the mixture and beating the whites until firm peaks, and folding into the mixture.
- Divide mixture between cake tins and place into the oven for 30-50 minutes, depending on the size of your cake. Keep a close eye on it and when a skewer inserted comes out clean, the cake it ready.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin before transferring to a plate.
RASPBERRY CHIA JAM
Makes approx. 1 cup
1 cup frozen raspberries
1 Tablespoon maple syrup - could also use honey
juice of 1 lemon
2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- Combine raspberries, maple syrup and lemon juice in a small pot.
- Gently stir over a low heat, squashing the raspberries with the back of a wooden spoon. Check the jam for taste, I allow quite a large ratio of lemon juice as I think the tart jam goes well with the rich cake, you may prefer to start with the juice of half a lemon, or add a little extra maple syrup, either would be fine.
- When raspberries are completely thawed and broken up, remove from the heat.
- Stir through chia seeds and transfer into a small bowl or jar.
- Place in the fridge for a few hours to set.