PUMPKIN SOUP W/QUINOA AND TOASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS
1 medium buttercup pumpkin
2 teaspoons cumin powder
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil
1 onion roughly chopped
1 litre vegetable stock
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 medium potatoes quartered
½ cup coconut cream
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Cut pumpkin into quarters and scoop out the seeds. Place onto a roasting tray and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with cumin powder before placing in the oven. Roast until soft (approx. 1 hour). Remove from the oven to cool slightly.
- While the pumpkin is cooling down melt the coconut oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the onion. Cook until soft.
- Next add to the saucepan the stock, garlic, thyme and potato.
- Scoop out the soft pumpkin flesh and add to the saucepan. Bring the soup mixture to a simmer and cook for around 20 minutes or until the potato is soft.
- Once the potato is soft transfer the soup to a blender or alternatively use a stick blender. Add in the coconut cream and blend until silky smooth.
- Place the soup back on the heat, season with salt and pepper and heat through.
- To toast the pumpkin seeds pre-heat a small frying pan over medium heat and add in the pumpkin seeds, toast for a few minutes before adding the cocoNOTsoy sauce and toss to coat. Toast for a few more minutes until crunchy (be careful not to burn them).
- To serve place the soup into bowls and divide the quinoa evenly between them, top with the toasted pumpkin seeds.