Light, fluffy and scrumptious - the traditional pikelets were described as a “Welsh cakes made of a fine flour – kneaded with yeast” (The Universal Etymological Dictionary - 1773). And so - we have used our fine Organic Coconut Flour to make these traditional pikelets – but with a coconut twist! These tasty little morsels also feature our Organic Coconut Sugar and our Organic Coconut Butter. And for the topping? A dash of our new Organic Red Raspberry Powder works magnificently with some cream cheese, capers and smoked salmon. Delight your guests with these delicious morning or afternoon tea items. They are also a great addition to the breakfast table. What a treat!
Our Organic Coconut Flour can be used as a gluten-free, high fibre substitute for other flours. Our organic Red Raspberry Powder is high in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. One such nutrient unique to the raspberry called rheosmin (raspberry ketones) has been identified as having beneficial effects on weight management.
Traditional Pikelets with a Coconut Twist
1/3 cup of Organic Coconut Sugar
¾ cup of your preferred milk
¾ cup standard flour
¼ cup Organic Coconut Flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
2 tbsp Organic Coconut Butter (crumbled with a fork)
1 tsp Organic Coconut Oil for cooking
- Beat the egg and sugar together until creamy
- Add the milk and dry ingredients – blend well
- Add our Organic Coconut Butter (it is easiest to crumble it with a fork out of the jar)
- Heat the Organic Coconut Oil on a hot frying pan
- Add a spoonful of the mixture to create your first pikelet! Be sure to space the spoonful’s out to avoid the pikelets merging
- Turn the pikelets over when they are golden on one side - to cook the other
When cooled – spread on some cream cheese, sprinkle them with our organic Red Raspberry Powder, add some chunks of Matakana Smokehouse's maple cold smoked salmon and garnish the lot with capers.