Donburi also known as "rice bowl" is a yummy Asian dish typically consisting of fish, meat, tofu and vegetables cooked together in a delicious sauce then served in a bowl over rice. This Teriyaki Tofu Donburi is a quick and easy dinner option and perfect for those wishing to reduce their meat intake. The sauce is often the hero of the dish and the teriyaki sauce recipe below is a healthier alternative to store bought sauces as it doesn't contain any refined sugar, artificial flavours, colours or preservatives. Our Organic CocoNotSoy Sauce and Sticky Coconut Amino Sauce are also soy and gluten free making them ideal for those with allergies or food sensitivities.
TERIYAKI TOFU DONBURI
200g firm tofu
3 tablespoons potato starch
2 tablespoons Extra-virgin coconut oil
1 tablespoon CocoNotSoy Sauce
1/2 tablespoon Sticky Coconut Amino Sauce
1/2 tablespoon Coconut Nectar or pure maple syrup
1/2 tablespoon mirin
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup brown rice
1/3 cup Quinoa Red & Black Mix
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Cook quinoa and rice per packet instructions.
- Cut tofu into 2 x 3 cm squares, remove water with a paper towel. Toss in potato starch to remove any remaining water.
- Preheat a pan over a mid-high heat, melt coconut oil and cook all sides of the tofu until they become slightly golden. Put cooked tofu aside on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Clean the pan with a paper towel and put it on a low heat. Mix CocoNotSoy Sauce, Sticky Coconut Amino Sauce, Coconut Nectar, mirin and water together in a small bowl and pour into the pan. Simmer for a couple of minutes until slightly reduced then return the cooked tofu to the pan. Toss to coat.
- While the tofu is cooking, place the spinach in boiling water for 2 mins then rinse in cold water. Squeeze out excess water before adding the salt, garlic, sesame oil and sesame seeds and mix well.
- To serve, divide the rice and quinoa mix evenly between two serving dishes, top with the spinach and tofu. Sprinkle with extra sesame seeds and thinly sliced spring onion and enjoy!