Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad! Old fashioned tomato soup is the ultimate comfort food. This one is made using our super smooth Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil and as you guessed it – fresh juicy tomatoes.
Vegan Tomato Soup
1 tbsp organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
1 tbsp organic Coconut Butter
1 medium yellow onion, medium diced
2 Medium garlic cloves (minced)
6 juicy tomatoes (cut in quarters)
1.5 cups low-sodium vege broth or water
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Melt coconut butter and oil on a low heat in a medium-sized saucepan.
- When the coconut butter and oil melts, add the onion with a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is completely soft (about 15mins).
- Increase the heat – add tomatoes and juices to the pan.
Crush them with the back of a wooden spoon and cook until they’re hot and beginning to soften.
Cook until tomatoes begin to fall apart (15min).
- Remove the soup from the heat and cool for about 10 mins.
Puree the soup (until completely smooth) in the saucepan using an immersion or countertop blender.
- Garnish with watercress and enjoy with some delicious warm bread!